Explore and modify character maps in Unicode by browsing complex character repertoires of over 110,000 elements, apply search filters to find specific characters by name or code point. The suite supports exchange buffer for copying and pasting selected code to other compatible applications.
Old versionsSee all
BabelMap is a free character map application for Windows that allows you to browse through the entire Unicode character repertoire of over 110,000 characters, or search for a particular character by name or by code point. Characters can then be copied to the clipboard for use in any Unicode-aware application. It also provides many useful features and special utilities, as described below.
- Unicode Character Grid showing all 110,187 assigned characters and 137,468 private use characters in Unicode 6.3.
- Browse the entire Unicode character repertoire using either a single font or a user-defined virtual composite font which maps particular Unicode blocks to particular fonts (you may save and load different composite font mappings).
- Browse through Unicode Character Grid by plane, block or page of 128 characters.
- For CJK Unified Ideographs blocks, browse by radical.
- Select any Unicode block from a dropdown list.
- Find a character by its hexadecimal or decimal code point value.
- Search (backwards and forwards through the Unicode Character Grid) for characters by full or partial name.
- Paste a character into the edit buffer and hit F2 to locate it in the Unicode Character Grid (for a string of text, put the caret in front of the character to locate).
- Magnify any character in the Unicode Character Grid by right-clicking on it.
- Select characters from the character grid into an edit buffer that supports drag-and-drop editing.
- Display text in the edit buffer using either a single selected font or the user-defined virtual composite font.
- View characters in the edit buffer as Unicode characters or as NCR or UCN escape sequences.
- Paste Unicode text from the clipboard into the edit buffer (any NCR or UCN escape codes will be automatically converted to Unicode characters).
- Copy selected characters to clipboard, for inserting into any Unicode application (text may be copied as either plain Unicode text or in RTF format for pasting applications such as Word and WordPad that support rich text editing).
- Save the contents of the edit buffer to file in UTF-8, UTF-16 (Big or Little Endian) or UTF-32 (Big or Little Endian) encoding.
- Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean or Vietnamese readings displayed for currently selected CJK unified ideograph (choice of language to show is user selectable).
- Choice of two sizes of dialogue boxes available (small-sized dialogue boxes particularly suitable for 800×600 screen resolutions).
- Optional colour coding of characters according to a specified Unicode property (General Category, Canonical Combining Class, Bidi Class, Bidi Mirrored, Decomposition Type, Numeric Type), Script or Unicode Version.